TRADITIONAL CLASSROOM: Engage with our
instructors and a diverse group of peers in a
Traditional Classroom version of this course .
VIRTUAL CLASSROOM: Dynamic and fully
interactive, a live, online version of this course is
led by an instructor and conducted in real time .
ON-DEMAND LEARNING: Set your own pace
with a recorded online version of this course
and log on when and where you learn best .
Customized Learning: We will tailor any course based on your company’s needs .
For a free consultation or quote please email
Learning@iil.com or visit
www.iil.com • TEL +1-800-325-1533 or +1-212-758-0177 • Email:
Learning@iil.com . Visit
www.iil.com/worldwide to access local pricing and schedules .
Intercultural competence is a business
imperative in today’s workplace . To be
successful, you need to know how to
communicate and collaborate with people of
different cultures and backgrounds . The focus
of this course is on exploring the concept of
Cultural Intelligence and developing the skills
that will enable you to leverage diversity as a
competitive global advantage .
This course will help you gain a deeper
understanding of “culture” – what it means and
how it impacts how we act, what we say, and
how we relate to others . You will learn about
the benefits and challenges of working with a
cross-cultural team . You will also explore your
own cultural identity and discover the four
capabilities that comprise Cultural Intelligence .
Diversity provides tremendous value to
organizations, and this course will help you
recognize and leverage the benefits it offers.
Building your intercultural competence will
ultimately make you more effective in both
your personal and professional life .
Who Should Attend
This course is for all employees in any job role,
organization or operation .
• Increasing awareness of cultural diversity
and its benefits
• Identifying strategies to build cross-cultural
• Applying social science to your workplace
What You Will Learn
You’ll learn how to:
• Compare and contrast cultural norms
• Leverage cultural diversity and navigate
potential cultural misunderstandings
• Course structure
• Course goals and objectives
• What is culture?
• The Iceberg Model of culture
• Understanding world cultures
• Introduction to Intercultural Competence
The Social Science of Cultural Intelligence
• What is Cultural Intelligence?
• The four Cultural Intelligence capabilities
o CQ drive – motivation
o CQ knowledge – cognition
o CQ strategy – meta-cognition
o CQ action – behavior
• Exercise: Cultural profiles
• Geert Hofstede’s Cultural Dimensions
o Six dimensions of values
o Selected country profiles
How Culture Impacts Relationships
• Cultural differences in communication
• Communication filters
• Message delivered = Message received
• The danger of making assumptions
• Enrichment Activity: TED Talk –
Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger of a
• The importance of perspective
Working with Cross-Cultural Teams
• Diversity defined
• Cross-cultural teams (CCTs)
• The Iceberg Model revisited
o The use of space
o Relationship to time
• Challenges of working with CC Ts
• The Power of diversity
• Best practices for building CC Ts
• Exercise: Creating your Personal Action Plan
• What did we learn, and how can we
implement this in our work environments?
Leveraging the Power of Diversity
#1082/ Two 3-hour sessions
CEU Credits: 0 . 6 / PDU Credits: 6
Price: USD 450
#8936/ 1 Day
CEU Credits: 0 .7/ PDU Credits: 7
Price: USD 495